In Part 1 of this post I described how you can configure multiple site collections and different scopes, and in this article I will provide step-by-step guide on how to configure scopes for a site collection. As you might recall the part 1, if a user does not select a scop,e MSS will return results from ALL scopes/content sources.
To configure the search properly there are two solutions:
- Display scopes drop-down and let users select a desired scope
- Configure results page to show only results from a desired scope
Solution 1: Display scopes drop-down and let users select a desired scope
Use this solution when you have more than one search scope defined.
- Open you Search Center
- Select Site Actions > Edit Page
- Select Modify Shared Web part for Search Box Web Part
- Select the desired option in for Dropdown mode (see figure below)
Here are the options you can select:
Option Description Do not show scopes dropdown Show scopes dropdown It shows all the scopes defined for this site collection. To define scopes go to Site Collection home page > Site Settings > Site Collection Administration > Search Scope Show, and default to ‘s’ URL parameter Default scope will be selected in scopes dropdown. (e.g. if URL looks like this Default.aspx?s=Scope1 Scope1 will be selected) Show and default to contextual scope Contextual scope is the scope of current site. Site MSS site collections usually do not have any content do not use this option. Show, do not include contextual scope This option will not show contextual scope. Show, do not include contextual scope, and default to ‘s’ URL parameter See above.
- Repeat the above steps for other search pages (Results, Advanced Search…)
Solution 2: Configure results pages to show only results from a particular scope
Use this solution when only one scope is defined.
- Navigate to your site collection results page (/results.aspx is the default)
- Site Settings > Edit Page
- Select Modify Shared Web Part for Search Core Results web part.
- Enter desired Scope in Miscellaneous section (see figure below)
When results page is configured as described above ,all the results will be from the scope Customer1 and other results will not be shown.