We had a SharePoint site that was organized as shown on the following picture.
Each project had it’s own site but in each document library we wanted to connect a document with an asset stored in a central site and unique custom list.
We could not use Lookup column because we wanted to be able to share data site collection wide.
We could not use Site Column because:
- each Asset had some additional data that was stored to Assets lists
- we wanted to filter these assets by various criteria
Because of these requirements I decided we should create a custom column type that would allow me to connect to assets list and meet the requirements.
The final result is:
This solution allows you to:
- Connect to a list in a different site
- Use a list view to sort and filter results you are going to use
- You can add additional information to this asset list
- You can choose which field will be used as Value and Key
- It can be used on top of Windows SharePoint Services